Devmon device support, Cross post between lists

Chris Wopat chrisw at supranet.net
Fri Apr 18 16:17:35 CEST 2008

Hello,

Chiming in on some info on Devmon. While primarily targeted to the
Devmon list, it may be useful to hobbit/devmon users who don't subscribe
to that list.

The cisco-7206 template works perfectly fine on a Cisco 7500. I'm sure
it works on a 7200 as well. I also have an old 7000 here, but I don't
want to boot it up to test. Anyway, it may be in the best interest to
rename 7206 to 7200, and just copy its templates to a 7500 folder, or
genericly rename the whole thing cisco-7000.

Also, there is a typo in the USING doc:

http://devmon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/devmon/trunk/docs/USING?revision=3&view=markup

This line is listed:
	DEVMON:tests(cpu),thresh(cpu;CPUTotal5Min;y=50;r=90)

But it should be:
	DEVMON:tests(cpu),thresh(cpu;CPUTotal5Min;y:50;r:90)

It's correct in the details furter down the page, but the equal symbols
should be colons near the top when it first mentions thresh().

Lastly, and this is very minor, Devmon doesn't properly detect
administratively down interfaces in all cases. On one router, I am using
subinterfaces as follows:

GigabitEthernet0/2
GigabitEthernet0/2.1
GigabitEthernet0/2.2
GigabitEthernet0/2.3
..etc..

If I shut down Gi0/2, 'sh ip int br' shows its subinterfaces
administratively down, but devmon doesn't detect that- one has to go
into each subinterface and shut them down as well. It does appear that
the OID that checks admin status (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7) does indeed say
up, which is why it's showing red:

ifAdminStatus.89 = INTEGER: up(1)

I couldnt find any alternate OID to report ifAdminStatus, so short of
putting in code to check parent interface status, it probably couldn't
be considered a bug, but I thought I'd mention it.

--Chris