Hobbit client executing a script to be proactive if a problem occurs?

Chris Wopat chrisw at supranet.net
Fri Apr 11 15:56:02 CEST 2008

Hello,

I've been running hobbit for a few years, after converting from Big
Brother. I actively use it to monitor hundreds of hosts, send alerts,
etc. However, one thing I have yet to do is use any custom scripts for
anything. Looking at docs, I see two ways that scripts are called:

1) an alert can call a script instead of email directly. This script is
passed variables, and just about anything can be done *on the hobbit
server* from here.

2) A script can be launched on the client, from ext/, when the hobbit
clien starts. This script is generally used to add another column to hobbit.

What I'd like to do is execute a script *on the client* when an alert
has happened. Say, if CPU goes red on something, I'd like a script to
run on the cilent. I could force the issue with #1 above, but this seems
like it would invovle the server having the script, likely having SSH
keys setup to get into the client, then run the script.

Is there a cleaner way built in that will just say "if service FOO is
red then on client run script ext/BAR.sh"?

Thanks
--Chris