[hobbit] /etc/resolv.conf and DNS error (http test)

Dominique Frise Dominique.Frise at unil.ch
Wed Sep 26 17:44:14 CEST 2007

Haertig, David F (Dave) wrote:
> Try adding a "search" line to resolv.conf.  e.g., "search example.com".
> Your existing domain line should set this as your default search, but
> maybe it's not?  Try explicitly setting it by adding a search line.  But
> you imply your problem is intermitant, so it's probably not default
> search that's getting you.  Do you get the same intermittant failures
> when you run "nslookup www.example.com" repeatedly from the command
> line?  I believe when you have multiple nameservers listed they are all
> queried, and the first to respond wins.  I don't think Solaris waits for
> the first to fail before moving on to the second like you say.  I'm not
> 100% sure about this though.
>
> Note: I believe Solaris only uses the first six entries that are listed
> on a resolv.conf "search" line, ignoring the rest.  Something to keep in
> mind if you use this.

There are no intermittent problem while using nslookup or any other tool
relying on the default resolver under Solaris.
I think the problem comes from the ARES resolver that Hobbit uses internally.
Maybe the timeouts and retry setting are not interpreted the same way as the
default resolver does.
I have no time to look at the code but perhaps Henrik has an answer...

Thanks.

Dominique