[hobbit] is there a way to monitor a SSH service running on non-default port 22?

Dominique Frise Dominique.Frise at unil.ch
Sat Sep 22 11:20:59 CEST 2007

Andrew Chou wrote:
> I'd like to monitor a SSH server running on a port other than the default SSH port. Is there a way to do that?
>
> Thanks!

Extract of bb-hosts(5) man page:

SIMPLE NETWORK TESTS
      These tests perform a simple network test of  a  service  by
      connecting  to  the port and possibly checking that a banner
      is shown by the server.

      How these tests operate are configured in the bb-services(5)
      configuration file, which controls which port to use for the

Hobbit MonitoLast change: Version 4.2.0:  9 Aug 2006           15

Standards, Environments, and Macros                   BB-HOSTS(5)

      service, whether to send any data to the service, whether to
      check for a response from the service etc.

      You can modify the behaviour of these tests  on  a  per-test
      basis  by  adding one or more modifiers to the test: :NUMBER
      changes the port number from the  default  to  the  one  you
      specify  for  this  test.   E.g. to test ssh running on port
      8022, specify the test as ssh:8022.

Alternatively, and assuming you SSH server is running as a daemon, you can also
check it locally (on the client) using PROC or PORT directive in
hobbit-clients.cfg. see hobbit-clients.cfg(5) man page for examples.

Dominique
UNIL - University of Lausanne