Devmon issue

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 21:33:30 CEST 2007

This is really a devmon issue, but I think it will probably bite other
folks here sooner or later, so here it is.

I've been trying to set up a template to get information from some
Windows servers, and it turns out that the string I get back for the
ifDescr oid (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2) contains a null byte.  The problem
with that is that the interface name is being sent on to Hobbit,
complete with the null byte.  Hobbit interprets the null byte as
end-of-message within a combo stream and chops off the rest of the
message.

If I were a Perl programmer I could probably fix it, but I'm not so
I'm working around it by simply not including the interface names in
the message.

I don't know if the same thing will affect *all* character strings
coming from a Windows server, but I expect I'll find out soon enough.

So, if some kind soul can figure out where to patch devmon to remove
the null, it would certainly help me, and probably other folks too.

Thanks,

Ralph Mitchell