[hobbit] Hobbit Minimum HW requirement

vernon.everett at westernpower.com.au vernon.everett at westernpower.com.au
Mon Sep 17 09:33:29 CEST 2007

Hi

I can't tell you what minimum spec is, but I know my first production
installation of Hobbit was on a $0.00 budget.
I couldn't get any management buy-in for a monitoring system. (This
changed once they saw Hobbit in action).

I ran Hobbit on a notebook I built from scavenged components in our
"scrap" pile.
It was a P3 800, with 256Mb of RAM. I installed Mandrake (Mandriva) Linux
on it.
OK, we never had that many servers we were monitoring, but you could use
that as a minimum spec. It did run, and I don't think CPU utilisation ever
went much over 10%.

Anybody out there used something of lower spec?

Regards
      Vernon

Charles Goyard <charles.goyard at orange-ftgroup.com> wrote on 17/09/2007
03:21:58 PM:

> Ryan Jay B. Lapuz wrote :
> >
> > I'm currently documenting hobbit installation and configuration base
on our
> > company requirements. However, I'm stuck on the information about the
> > minimum hardware requirement of the Hobbit server. I can't seem to
find it
> > into the internet. Anyone who has this info?
>
> It depends on the number of clients, but a 5 years old box will make you
> happy up to, say, 1000 clients. (Henrik has a 3000+ boxes setup hosted
> on a (very) old Sun server).
>
> In fact, the real hotspot is the hard drive, if you encounter lots of
> status changes and graph much data. Get fast hard drives.
>
> I have a nice 2x Xeon 3.2GHz with SCSI drives, it show idle 90% of the
> time, and 6% waiting for IO.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Charles Goyard - charles.goyard at orange-ftgroup.com - (+33) 1 45 38 01 31
> Orange Business Services - online multimedia  // ingénierie

Electricity Networks Corporation, trading as Western Power
ABN: 18 540 492 861

TO THE ADDRESSEE - this email is for the intended addressee only and may contain information that is confidential.
If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or by telephone.
Please also destroy this message and any electronic or hard copies of this message.

Any claim to confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken transmission of this email.

Unencrypted email is not secure and may not be authentic.  Western Power cannot guarantee the accuracy, reliability,
completeness or confidentiality of this email and any attachments.

VIRUSES - Western Power scans all outgoing emails and attachments for viruses, however it is the recipient's responsibility
to ensure this email is free of viruses.