[hobbit] CPU utilisation alerts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Sep 13 07:49:20 CEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 01:39:37PM +0800, vernon.everett at westernpower.com.au wrote:

> I have been thinking about this problem, and was wondering how difficult
> it would be to incorporate a CPUU (CPU Utilisation) test as a standard for
> the bb-hosts config.
> The graph already exists (la1) so the data is already being collected.
> What would be needed to make it a standard test?

I have a long-term goal which means that all of the data going into
graphs can be used to modify statuses, so if vmstat begins to report a
high cpu utilisation, this could trigger the "cpu" status to go read. Or
if swap I/O goes up, it would trigger a change of the "memory" status.

But that would require some re-design of how statuses are handled inside
Hobbit, so it's not an easy fix.

So for the short term we could have the client server-module look at
vmstat data also when it generates the cpu status. I'll have a look at
it.