[hobbit] Backing up hobbit

Hobbit User hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Oct 19 00:09:53 CEST 2007

On Thu, October 18, 2007 17:58, Josh Luthman wrote:
> "Hobbit User" - I could use rsync and it would make backups though I
> normally don't use rsync as I like to have daily backups, in case I make
> a mistake on Monday, the backup is done Tuesday and I catch it on
> Wednesday - I can revert to Sunday with daily backups.  Rsync could have
> backed up my problem making it useless in this scenario!  I have a
> scripts that backup necessary components (like databases) and then
> finally tar with gzip compression and then SCP the file to a remote data
> center (I also use public keys to automate this).  I have found this
> works very well in my situation and has saved my life in the case of a
> MySQL database crash!

Yep, have those preferences as well.  The offsite rsync server (actually a
retired desktop with a couple of 130 gig drives) has tar-gzip jobs that
create generational backups of the rsync tree, so I keep a week's worth
that way.  Could be more space frugal with find . -mtime -1, but would
risk losing something I deleted by accident.