[hobbit] Backing up hobbit

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Thu Oct 18 23:19:53 CEST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Josh Luthman wrote:
> I am trying to create a backup of hobbit so in case the box is stolen,
> blown up, disappear, vanishes into thin air or even the boogey monster
> steals it, I can recover with a secondary box in a matter of minutes -
> hours at most.
>
> What I had done with BB was simply backup the entire user's home directory.
> I had this done every single morning.  Each gzipped tar was a mere 15 megs.
>
> When I do a du -shc /home/user it reaches 1021M and in
> /home/user/server/bin/ du -shc core* I see 860M.  What are these core*
> files?
These are not from the hobbit server installation.  Is it possible that you'r
hobbit server is crashing a lot?  Each crash can create a core file.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on what to backup?  I don't have the
> luxury of using tapes or another machine on the same LAN, so I am
> transporting this data over the Internet.  While bandwidth is not a
> concern, I'd much rather not have to transport a gigabyte every morning =)
>
> Thanks in advance,
The bare minimal is the etc directory.  All the rest can be reconstructed from
installation media.
For history information, you also need the data directory.

What I do is duplicate a hobbit server, note down what I did, make a script to
tar all config files and tada, I have my DR plan.

Stef