[hobbit] Hobbit DNS queries

Darren.Cotton at ses-astra.com Darren.Cotton at ses-astra.com
Wed Oct 3 13:08:21 CEST 2007

http checks are ok using dns. I am sure it is the 0.0.0.0 addresses causing
some of my problems.

Therefore for the hosts configured with 0.0.0.0 etc.. should I put a real
value in the bb-hosts instead with the noconn/noping option to stop the dns
queries?

Darren

             henrik at hswn.dk
             (Henrik Stoerner)
             03/10/2007 12:57          hobbit at hswn.dk
                                                                        cc

              hobbit at hswn.dk           Re: [hobbit] Hobbit DNS queries

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 11:14:01AM +0200, Darren.Cotton at ses-astra.com
wrote:
> I've modified hobbitlaunch.cfg and bb-hosts as follows:
>
> [bbnet]
>         ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
>         NEEDS hobbitd
>         CMD bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse --dns=ip
>         LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bb-network.log
>         INTERVAL 5m
>
> but using tcp dump I still see an excessive number of DNS queries some of
> which are causing errors in my firewall

Any http checks in your bb-hosts file ? These will use DNS, regardless
of --dns=ip or testip settings. If you don't want that, use the
"http://www.foo.com=1.2.3.4/" syntax (see bb-hosts(5)).

Also, hosts with an IP of "0.0.0.0" (or other invalid IP adresses) will
trigger a DNS lookup.

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.