clientupdate by os definition

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Wed Nov 7 23:14:39 CET 2007

Alright, I am working on deploying my hobbit clients. Before doing that, I
would like to nail down the clientupdate framework for my clients. So I am
doing some initial testing, and have gotten to the point where I need to
update the client-local.cfg.

Now in reading the client-local.cfg, sections are configured by either OS
definition or hostname. Hostname really isn't an option for me, that would
client-local.cfg huge and unruly to edit. Ideally some form of group
definition is preferred. But OS definition includes a massive group and my
Redhat3 & RedHat4 servers seem to lumped into the 'linux' OS group. If I
configure the client to have a custom OS definition, the client reports will
go purple since the Hobbit server does not recognize the custom OS
definition.

Questions:
1. Am I just be overly cautious by compiling a hobbit client for each and
every OS flavor I have ? i.e. rh2.1, rh3, rh4, rh4x64, sun8, sun10, etc ?
Would one generic linux & sun compile be all I really need ?

2. Is there any way to get more refined group definitions in
client-local.cfg ? I guess the only other solution would be have it honor the
CLASS= definition. But presently Sections by class are ignore. So is this
something that will be added, or am I missing something ?

3. The reason I ask question 2, is that I was thinking of having multiple
client tars.  For example a standard RH4 tar, and possibly a specialized RH4
client tailored for Database servers. Now there really wouldn't be any
difference between these tars in regards to hobbit client binaries, but
configuration & ext scripts. Ideally I would like an automated way to push
our updated Hobbit clients & ext scripts. Should I look at some other method
to manage automated updates of ext scripts ?

Thank you for your help,
 ~Steve