[hobbit] Creating a fake, or combination, client

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Nov 7 11:08:26 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 14:11:12 Ward, Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to Hobbit and have inherited a working system. I have a
> good idea of how it all hangs together but now I want to produce certain
> graphs and cannot figure out how.
>
> I have a cluster of mail servers that run Postfix; each of these clients
> is monitored within Hobbit. In the Trends link for each client I have
> graphs showing the various mail queues (incoming, deferred etc) and this
> data is stored in RRD files on the Hobbit server.
>
> Is there a way within Hobbit of creating a false or meta- client that
> can have a graph with data from all of these RRD files? Particularly I
> would like a graph that has all the incoming mail queue sizes on it with
> one line per server. I already have this information in lots of
> different RRD files but would like to have them all in one graph. I can
> create a graph outside of Hobbit to do this, but within the monitoring
> system it restricts the RRD files it will display data from to those in
> the data directory of the selected client (in the Trends link).

No, not if you:
1)Have "multi" definitions for the graph you want
2)You specify multiple server names in the graph url, or use the
Reports->Metrics Report feature. I prefer adding the server names in the
graph url, as I can reload it to have it update (whereas using the Metrics
Report requires you to go back and select a new date range).

You may want to try this with one of the existing tests that has "multi"
support, mem, cpu have them by default.

Regards,
Buchan