Differences between bb and hobbit -

Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Tue Nov 6 01:26:17 CET 2007

Hello list,

I've gotten a pair of hobbit servers set up, one in each data center, in
a specific lan.

I'm noticing that, due to the many transient network glitches in wan
connectivity, that the hobbit history shows a lot of
red/green/red/green. This appears to be different behavior from bb,
which gives us some knobs to turn, mitigating the effects of the
transient glitches and preventing the alternating red/green connectivity
status. (We've got people watching bbdisplay pages, who panic when they
see red.)

If a bb-net test fails, bb waits "n" seconds and tries again, and if it
still fails, it waits "m" seconds and tries a third time, and if that
fails as well, the connectivity goes red. The delays between try 1 and
try 2, and the delay between try 2 and try 3, are configurable in bb,
but I don't see any such option in hobbit, nor is it obvious whether
there is more than 1 attempt made to perform a network test.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the case, and if not, point me
to the correct configuration option?

Thanks & Regards,

Joe