[hobbit] New to Hobbit --- file monitoring

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Thu Nov 1 09:16:09 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Scott Mohnkern wrote:
> Thanks, this was the critical piece of information I was missing.  There
> are client configuration files in /etc/hobbit that I was editing, and
> clearly they aren't the correct ones.  I need to edit the ones in
> /usr/lib/hobbit/client.
>
> Back to editing what I hope is the correct config file.  I should be able
> to put
>
> FILE "/etc/passwd" GREEN NOEXIST TRACK
>  in ~/usr/lib/hobbit/client/etc/hobbit-clients.cfg
>
> and then start the hobbit client with /usr/lib/hobbit/runclient.sh start
>
>  and get reporting, yes?
No,  this has to go in the hobbit-clients.cfg file on the _server_.  The
server receives the data from the client (including the log file information)
and needs to know what to do with it.
Before the client sends file information to the server, you need to configure
client-local.cfg on the _server_.
So all configuration is done on the server.

If the client and the server is the same machine, it can be tricky to find the
right config file.  If you install the hobbit server from source, all files
are placed in the same sub directory so it is clear to know what's the server
and what's the client.

Stef