[hobbit] Custom graphs: RRD database won't populate

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Wed May 30 06:21:09 CEST 2007

I'm still not getting any RRD data being populated after the following
changes:

(1) Added "recent" to the GRAPHS line in hobbitserver.cfg.  I thought
this line was only for putting things in the trends column, but I added
'recent' to it anyway.

(2) Changed my NCV_recent line in hobbitserver.cfg to "*:GAUGE" rather
than individually listing each dataset.

(3) Restarted hobbit.

(4) Changed my status messages to not have any spaces in them
They were like this e.g., "five<space>:<space>27
Now they are like this e.g., "five:27"

Still no RRD database file being generated.  I'm looking in the
....../data/rrd directory for some file named like *recent*.rrd

The messages I'm sending from my custom script are status messages, and
they show up on the regular webpage displays, updated every five
minutes.  It looks like the rrd process is running too:

hobbit at stars-dev <mailto:hobbit at stars-dev> -> ps -ef | grep status
hobbit 593 587 0 21:52 ? 00:00:00 hobbitd_channel --channel=status
--log=/development/hobbit/logs/rrd-status.log hobbitd_rrd
--rrddir=/development/hobbit/data/rrd

I looked through the ...../logs/rrd-status.log and rrd-data.log files
and there is no mention of 'recent' in there.

Any ideas on where I should look next to debug this?  Thanks in advance
for any help or guidance.