[hobbit] Ping question

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu May 17 00:03:23 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 11:51:37AM -0500, Jeff Newman wrote:
> Hobbit server A monitors client B. Client B has a a private connection
> to a network that nobody else can be on except for it. Client B talks
> to some production server over that network. Today, that production
> server went down. Now I have been asked to do the following:
>
> I need to be able to ping monitor the production server. I can ping
> the production server from Client B. Hobbit server A can ping client
> B, but not the prod. server (as only client B has that ability)

Install the Hobbit server package on your B server. Disable all tasks
in hobbitlaunch.cfg, except the [bbnet] and [hobbitclient] tasks.
Configure hobbitserver.cfg to have BBSERVERIP pointing at your
server A IP address. Setup a bb-hosts file on your B server with
only the network tests that you want to run from server B (i.e. the
ping test).

For bonus points, read up on the NET:foo setting in bb-hosts, and
configure the BBLOCATION setting on server B - that lets you use
the same bb-hosts file on both your A and B servers.