[hobbit] Net:Location appears not to work?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun May 13 22:23:15 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:39:28AM -0400, Sean R. Clark wrote:
> I have three servers
>
> tools-www-01 (hobbitd server, BBDISPLAY BBNET BBPAGER)
> tools-pol-03 (Big Brother BBNET)
> tools-pol-04 (Big Brother BBNET)

First, mixing Hobbit and BB network test tools does complicate things.
There are quite a few settings in the bb-hosts file that the BB
servers ignore - including the NET:foo setting.

> on tools-www-01 I have several hosts that are failing the conn test  from
> tools-www-01 and paging me
> the problem is, tools-www-01 should not be testing these hosts from my
> understanding of the tags in the bb-hosts file
>
> bb-hosts on tools-www-01:
>
> 10.10.9.9      tools-www-01.domain.com # BBDISPLAY BBNET BBPAGER NET:tools-pol-03.domain.com
> 10.10.10.10    hostname-prov-db-02.domain.com #  NET:tools-pol-04.domain.com

Make sure you have BBLOCATION set in the hobbitserver.cfg file on your
Hobbit server (tools-www-01). If this isn't set, it will ignore all of
the NET:foo settings in bb-hosts. On the other hand, when BBLOCATION is
set Hobbit will test ONLY those hosts that have a matching NET: setting.

Your two Big Brother servers just ignore the NET: setting in bb-hosts,
so they will test whatever hosts are listed in the bb-hosts file.
Had they been running Hobbit, you would have set
   BBLOCATION=tools-pol-03.domain.com
or
   BBLOCATION=tools-pol-04.domain.com
in their hobbitserver.cfg file.