Net:Location appears not to work?

Sean R. Clark sclark at nyroc.rr.com
Fri May 11 16:39:28 CEST 2007

I have three servers

tools-www-01 (hobbitd server, BBDISPLAY BBNET BBPAGER)
tools-pol-03 (Big Brother BBNET)
tools-pol-04 (Big Brother BBNET)

on tools-www-01 I have several hosts that are failing the conn test  from
tools-www-01 and paging me
the problem is, tools-www-01 should not be testing these hosts from my
understanding of the tags in the bb-hosts file

bb-hosts on tools-www-01:

10.10.9.9      tools-www-01.domain.com # BBDISPLAY BBNET BBPAGER
NET:tools-pol-03.domain.com
10.10.10.10    hostname-prov-db-02.domain.com #  NET:tools-pol-04.domain.com

>From what I gather, prov-db-02 should only be tested from dev-pol-04 (and
that connection is successful)

What I am getting is constant "flaps" of it being up/down/up/down   - when I
get the down page, the failure source is tools-www-01, not tools-pol-04.
When tools-pol-04 sends green it recovers

Am I not using locations correctly? Or is there something more for me to
look at?

-Sean