hobbit-alert.cfg; PAGE filter with same host on multiple subpages?

jorgen.lindqvist at vattenfall.com jorgen.lindqvist at vattenfall.com
Wed Mar 21 10:01:37 CET 2007

Hi all!

I have the same hosts defined on multiple pages/subpages and want to use the PAGE rules for defining alerts in hobbit-alerts.cfg

This only seems to work for the "first" page, however, which is quite frustating...

bb-hosts:
page One
subparent One A A
1.2.3.4	switch_1 # testip
1.2.3.5	switch_2 # testip
1.2.3.6	switch_3 # testip
page Two
subparent Two B B
1.2.3.4	switch_1 # noconn
1.2.3.6	switch_3 # noconn

hobbit-alerts.cfg
PAGE=One/A
	MAIL admin_one at foo.com
PAGE=Two/B
	MAIL admin_two at foo.com

The info column of switch_1 clearly tells me that Page/subpage is One/A and Two/B, however I can only see the alerting to admin_one at foo.com. Removing switch_1 from the One/A section enables my alerting to admin_two at foo.com.

Is this a limitation in the Hobbit alerting? Something unforeseen? Or am I not thinking straight?

Getting this to work would REALLY simplify my existance. I am implementing Hobbit Monitor in a quite big environment I believe... So far i have 832 switches in my bb-hosts file (takes 46 seconds to ping, according to bbtest). Not started on our servers yet. (No, I don't do this manually - I have designed a nice web GUI (PHP/MySQL) for all configurations ;)

The best of regards to you all

Jörgen Lindqvist
Varberg, Sweden