[hobbit] Cluster monitoring (proxy setup)

Tod Hansmann thansmann at directpointe.com
Wed Jun 27 22:36:03 CEST 2007

Ah, finally, something I can comment on competently.

The way we do it is we have two pollers and one display.  The display
does no network testing (we disabled it in hobbitlaunch.cfg) but that's
not necessarily required.  For your situation, you have to choices.

1)       You use the Net:hostname moniker in your bb-hosts file, and
then you can keep the bb-hosts files synced however you wish (we just
scp when we make a change).  Any hosts you don't have the Net:hostname
tag in will be tested by any servers.

2)       Maintain two separate bb-hosts, with all hosts on the display
servers' copy, but then you have to manually put a noconn tag in the
hosts to not ping in the bb-hosts file on the display, otherwise, your
display server will be testing those as well, and that status will be
over-riding the status from your other server.

Obviously, choice 1 is much easier to maintain, but you will have to put
a Net:thing tag in every line of your current script (easy to do with a
quick perl script or whatnot.  I have one somewhere if you need such).
I'd really recommend going that route.

Tod Hansmann

Network Engineer

  <http://www.directpointe.com/>