[hobbit] hobbitfetch replacement with ssh

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Sat Jun 23 23:06:58 CEST 2007

On Saturday 23 June 2007, Haertig, David F (Dave) wrote:
> Using bbcmd to run hobbitclient.sh was a good idea, but presented some
> problems of it's own.  No problem getting it to set the environment
> though.
>
> For one, invoking the client in this manner leaves lots of iostatcpu,
> iostatdisk, and vmstat files laying around in the tmp directory.  I
> guess it must be hobbitlaunch that cleans these up normally.
>
> Second, I could not trick logfetch into grabbing custom logfiles.  I
> tried putting the appropriate entries in ..../tmp/logfetch.XXX.cfg on
> the client end, but logfetch ignored these.  This file is normally
> overwritten each time the client contacts the host, so normally you
> wouldn't edit it.  But in my case the client is not connecting to the
> host so I thought it might be "safe" to manually create this file, but
> alas logfetch appears to ignore it.
>
> I may well run into this logfetch gotcha no matter how I invoke
> hobbitclient.sh  If the client cannot talk to the Hobbit server, as in
> my DMZ case, is it even possible to configure logfetch to grab custom
> logfiles?  The logfetch config is normally downloaded from the server.
> I don't see any way (yet) to configure it locally on the client.
If "I" should have this problem, I will try this:
change hobbit client.sh so it:
- is not trying to contact the hobbit server (so the bb command is not used)
- the message file is saved in a fixed file (so the pid is not appended to it)
- the logfetch can still work if you update the input file manually

make a daemon on the hobbit server:
- that runs every minute
- contacts the hobbit client with ssh and checks for a message file, if a
message file is found, the content is send to the hobbit server and the file
is deleted

Or something like this ;)

Stef