[hobbit] DURATION rules for specific host alerts

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:36:47 CEST 2007

On 6/22/07, Daniel Bourque <dbourque at weatherdata.com> wrote:

>  Why would you not want the status to change ? Such a history log is great
> for troubleshooting.

I wouldn't want the status to change, because I'm essentially making it a
two-part threshold; one part based on the hard-and-true numeric value, and
another threshold based on the length of time.

if you don't want to be notified about it, just use this in the
> hobbit-alerts.cfg
>
> Page=x
>     IGNORE HOST=foo SERVICE=cpu COLOR=red DURATION<5m

Ahh, that's the sort of hobbit-alerts rule that would work for me, at least
until (if?) there becomes a way to do what I'm looking for in
hobbit-clients.cfg.

if you don't want it to change the status color on the parent pages , then
> use NOPROPYELLOW:cpu in the bb-hosts file.
>
> if you REALLY don't want it to change status, increase the LOAD numbers in
> the hobbit-clients.cfg file.

The problem is that it is only a problem if the load is _sustained_ for more
than 10 minutes or so.
If I set the red threshold to Y, and the load momentarily spikes to Y+1, it
isn't a problem.  But if I raise the threshold to Y+2 and now I get a
sustained load of Y+1, it would be a problem since I wouldn't get alerted.

Essentially, I'm looking for a sort of time-based hysteretic monitoring.

-Dan