DURATION rules for specific host alerts

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:49:43 CEST 2007

Is there a [non-messy] way to set a DURATION rule for a specific host
alert?  Basically, what I'm thinking of is something like this:

In hobbit-clients.cfg
HOST=myhost
    LOAD 20 30 DURATION>5m

The effect being, the status of the "myhost" cpu alert will only change to
yellow/red if the load is above the appropriate threshold for more than 5
minutes.

There are a few hosts that occasionally will spike above the cpu load
thresholds, but only for a few minutes (usually around 5 min at most), and
then recover on its own.  However, I don't want to raise the thresholds,
because a sustained load (more than 10 minutes) at this level _is_ actually
a critical event.  It's just not critical if it is just a momentary spike.

My specific example is with cpu load, but it could be for other things too,
such as process counts, memory, or even in some situations, disk space.