[hobbit] stand-by hobbit

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jun 7 21:36:40 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:35:06PM -0400, ye-fee liang wrote:
> > That's what I'm doing currently. Getting rid of alerts is simple, just
> > disable the hobbitd_alert module on one of the servers. Should that
> > server fail, you can quickly enable it on the backup server.
>
>   Just to clarify:
> 1. rsync is run every 5 minutes [your opinion on frequency and other method].
> 2. the stand-by is running hobbitd normally(?), so only update data, and
>       server/www directories? (what about server/etc)

The only thing that is rsync'ed between the two servers is the
configuration data, i.e. the files in ~hobbit/server/etc/ . Unless
you're changing your configuration frequently, once an hour seems like
it should be adequate.

All of the other data is maintained separately by each server. They are
running the same Hobbit modules, both of them receive data from clients,
run the network tests, generate the webpages and so on - which takes
care of maintaining all of the other data.

> 3. how to disable the hobbitd_alert module

Edit hobbitlaunch.cfg and put a DISABLE in the [bbpage] section.