[hobbit] Alternate to msgcache/hobbitfetch?

epperson at alumni.unc.edu epperson at alumni.unc.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:19:54 CEST 2007

On Mon, June 4, 2007 23:18, Craig Cook wrote:
>>I guess what I'm looking for is a hobbitfetch variant that uses ssh/scp
>>rather than connecting to a msgcache listener.  And along with that, a
>>way to configure the client to collect data normally, but skip starting
>>a listening service.
>
> A slightly different way would be if hobbit client did "sending
> validation"...
>
> Client sends it's data as usual to the server but if the connection fails
> it stores information locally until it can.  Could be used if your WAN
> link goes down.  Or in your case, intentionally use it like hobbitfetch
> without using msgcache (and make hobbitfetch use ssh to get the logs).

This would be a wonderful feature to have, especially since hobbitfetch
appears to be seriously broken as to reliability.  Came in this morning to
find my prototype farm all purple on msgcache columns, all apparently
having ceased to get hobbitfetch-ed between 6:15 and 6:20 last evening.
All processes still running, but nought going on.