[hobbit] Re: hobbitd_alert: Servers on multiple pages & PAGE= rules

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 23:04:44 CEST 2007

If I understand you correctly, a host can really only live on one page.
But 'aliases' of the host can show up on other pages, just most of Hobbit
does not see the aliases.

That work around doesn't work for me. I was hoping of setting up my alert
rules to be page based, so if it is displayed on 1, 2,  or 3 pages.. the
appropriate group/groups would be alerted.

Though if this actually did work, and then I started using different
group-only options on the different pages... then i would only want the
reports that are displayed on that particular page to match the PAGE= alert
rule. So I can see that it would be a can of worms.

So the only valid solution I can see is to use macros to create groups of
hosts, and uses those macro groups in my alert rules. Then when I add/remove
a device from a page, I will also need to add/remove it from my macro groups.
Is there a limit on the number of hosts that can be defined in a macro ?
Though using a macro would be somewhat ugly:
$GroupA=(HostA|HostB|HostC|HostD)

My problem is that I have multiple groups that want to be alerted, and a good
# of the devices are shared between groups.

Thank you for you prompt response, I appreciate it.
 ~Steve