[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 05:48:24 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 07:16:12PM -0400, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> > - Display column only when  it is red
> >  (http://www.*hobbit*mon.com/*hobbit*on/2006/08/msg00920.html)
>
> I'll leave that for later. There will probably be an entire new version
> with just display things.
>
> > - SNMP trap by default
> > - SNMP probe option builtin
>
> Too much for now. I need to dig into the Net-SNMP library API to do
> that.
>
> > - Process specific alert
> >  (http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2005/11/msg00159.html)
>
> Already in 4.2.0 via the GROUP definition in hobbit-clients.cfg and the
> corresponding rule in hobbit-alerts.cfg
>
> > - Comment TAG for DOWNTIME
> >  (http://www.hobbitmon.com/hobbiton/2007/04/msg00141.html)
>
> Has been implemented for 4.3.0
>
> > - Add functionalities in `delay'
> >  (http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2005/06/msg00272.html)
>
> Haven't looked at that.
>
> > - CPU/Memory Usage per process
> >  (http://osdir.com/ml/monitoring.hobbit/2007-01/msg00429.html)
>
> Probably impossible. Most "ps" implementations can report the current
> amount of cpu/memory a process uses, but that's a snapshot (ever noticed
> how "top" always has itself in the top list of cpu-using processes?).
> What's interesting is not how much cpu/memory a process uses exactly when
> the Hobbit client runs the "ps" command, but how much it has used on
> average since the last client run - similar to what "vmstat" reports for
> the system as a whole. I don't know of any way to get this data.
>
> Another problem with this is identifying what a process is. A
> long-running daemon often forks child-processes that are short-lived;
> should we add their cpu-utilisation to that of the long-running process?
> If yes, then we have to monitor all processes that are started (so
> running once every N seconds is not sufficient); if no, then you won't
> spot the cpu hog because it was spawned as a child process.
>
> > - Text based alert for `msgs'. Currently it shows as html in my email
> >  (http://osdir.com/ml/monitoring.hobbit/2007-01/msg00203.html)

Easily done with an alert script.

Well all my messages show up in html format. Wouldn't it be nice to generate
the
email, or have a choice to generate email, as text type instead of html
type.

Also this email may suggest that text based email alert is possible.

  http://www.hobbitmon.com/hobbiton/2005/10/msg00382.html

However, I might be misreading that email.

Again, please understand this is still just a low priority feature request.

Until then I will just explore the script idea that you suggested.

Appreciate all your work really!

Regards,

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu