Oracle Monitor -- Hobbit

Robert Herron robert.herron at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:03:16 CEST 2007

James,

I use bb-roracle (current v 2.20) with Hobbit.  It runs on six of my
HP-UX-based servers.  Two of these servers monitor databases on remote
servers.  In most cases, these remote servers are Windows boxes but one or
two monitored databases reside on Linux hosts that I was too lazy to get
bb-roracle.sh to run directly on.

I originally implemented bb-roracle with all database stats reporting back
to the host that ran bb-roracle.  So, all databases monitored by XXX
appeared on the XXX.oradb page in Hobbit.  If you had 10 monitored database
instances, that XXX.oradb page would be really large.

I recently moved to an individual pages per database.  This makes alerting
via SMS/cell phone text message much cleaner.  Here's what the pertinent
sections of bb-hosts and bb-roracle.ids look like:

#bb-hosts
page Unix Unix
group-compress
192.168.222.111   fintest              # oratns
page Windows Windows
group-compress
192.168.222.123   timecard             # oratns
192.168.222.132   loaddata             # oratns
page Database Databases
group-compress
192.168.222.111   fintest.financetest  # noconn
192.168.222.123   timecard.timeentry    # noconn
192.168.222.132   loaddata.loaddata    # noconn

#bb-roracle.ids
#type   SID          userid  password  tests    log-as-host
listener-name
LOCAL   financetest  bbuser  bbpasswd  aBE      fintest.financetestlsnr_fintest
REMOTE  timeentry    bbuser  bbpasswd  aBEfijk  timecard.timeentry
REMOTE  loaddata     bbuser  bbpasswd  aBEfijk  loaddata.loaddata

By the way, I'm the Herron mentioned in bb-roracle's revision history.