[hobbit] Re: Paging & Notification Not Working

Dirk Kastens Dirk.Kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Jul 18 09:51:45 CEST 2007

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

>> page linux
>>    123.456.78.9 my.mail.host # ...
>> page mail
>>    0.0.0.0 my.mail.host # noconn
>> page redhat
>>    0.0.0.0 my.mail.host # noconn prefer
>>
>> and I define alerts for all three pages, the alert only works for page
>> "linux" and page "redhat". The host on page "mail" is being ignored.
>
> This is a different problem. Each host has a "primary" page - only one!
> It's the first page that defines it (that would be "linux"), except if
> you use the "prefer" keyword then it is of course the page that has the
> preferred definition of the host ("redhat", in your example). If you're
> unsure of what page Hobbit uses as the primary page, then check it on
> the "info" status page.

Yes, I know. I wrote, that this is only a workaround for the missing
alert. When I leave out the "prefer" statement in the above example, the
alert only works for the host on the "linux" page.
I tested my configuration with the (patched) hobbitd_alert program:

$ bbcmd hobbitd_alert --test my.mail.host --color=red disk

Matching host:service:page 'my.mail.host:--color=red:linux'
*** Match with 'PAGE=linux' ***
Matching host:service:page 'my.mail.host:--color=red:linux'
Failed 'PAGE=mail' (pagename not in include list)

When I add the "prefer" option to the host on the mail page, I get

Matching host:service:page 'my.mail.host:--color=red:mail
Failed 'PAGE=linux' (pagename not in include list)
Matching host:service:page 'my.mail.host:--color=red:mail
*** Match with 'PAGE=mail' ***

So, what can I do to get the alert function working for BOTH pages?

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470