[hobbit] BigBrother migration: trending on the mem test

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 16:08:56 CEST 2007

> > > Anyways. All my *NIX devices report into BB with their memory report as
> > > mem, not memory. So I have BigBrother & hobbit running in parallel,
> > > with a bbproxy sending bbclient data to both. One of my last issues is
> > > that I am missing memory trends for all my *nix servers. So is there
> > > anyway to tell the hobbit server to do memory trending on memory & mem
> > > reports ? I have tried a few things, but with no success.
> >
> > I think putting a "mem=memory" in the TEST2RRD setting and restarting
> > the hobbitd_rrd processes (just kill them, they'll automatically
> > restart) should do it.
>
> That did not work. I will be checking to see if there is anything in the
> logs.

Correction, that did not work for my Linux devices reporting in with a mem
report, but it does work with my Solaris devices. I am assuming the output
from the bb-memory version I am using, does not mesh with what Hobbit is set
to trend on. So I will probably just need to send mem report to a modified
memory-larrd script via the extra-scripts option. This will only be a
short-time fix, until I can push hobbit clients out to replace the bb
clients. The first step is to get the server upgraded, then the clients.
Below I have have include the Linux/Sun memory output for reference:

Linux:
green Sun Jul 15 09:56:28 EDT 2007 - Memory OK
&green real 7926M / 7948M 99%
&green swap 0M / 2047M 0%

Solaris:
green Sun Jul 15 09:56:59 EDT 2007 - Memory OK
   Memory       Used    Total   Percentage
&green Physical 50378M  65536M  76%
&clear Actual   -1M     65536M  0%
&green Swap             42658M  85191M  50%

Thanks for the guidance and help on this,
 ~Steve