[hobbit] Strange rrd problem

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Jul 13 12:49:22 CEST 2007

One reason for the flat always-zero pop3 graph could be that it
responds faster than Hobbit monitors. If the response time is
less than 10 ms, then Hobbit will report it as zero - look at
the pop3 status page and see the "Seconds: x.xx" which is the
data that Hobbit uses for the graph.

As for the diamond-shaped graph - yes, this is quite puzzling.
I've had a couple of other reports (see e.g. this thread:
http://www.hobbitmon.com/hobbiton/2005/10/msg00332.html).
We haven't been able to figure out why this happens, the data
that goes into the RRD file look sane.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 09:01:10AM +0200, Thomas Kaehn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up a hobbit server to monitor a couple of systems.
>
> However the network test graphs from exactly one system are looking
> quite strange:
>
> http://www.westend.com/pop3-1.png
> http://www.westend.com/pop3-2.png		(zoomed in view)
>
> According to this graph pop3 is answering always within zero seconds (I
> can't imagine this). And the response time of pop3s is alternating in
> such specific way that rrd draws triangles.
>
> I've already deleted the rrd files, but the effect remains the same.
>
> The system is running Debian 4.0 (librrd2 version 1.2.15-0.3). Has
> anybody seen such strange effects before? All other systems and even
> other services on the same system are looking reasonable.
>
> Ciao,
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Kähn                   WESTEND GmbH  |  Internet-Business-Provider
> Technik                       CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller
>                               Im Süsterfeld 6          Tel 0241/701333-18
> tk at westend.com                D-52072 Aachen              Fax 0241/911879

Henrik Storner