[hobbit] client agents - *nix

Matt McGrievy mcgrievy at email.unc.edu
Fri Jan 26 22:15:30 CET 2007

Hi Don,

Depending on which Linux distribution you're running, you may be able to
do an RPM -- in my case, I built from source.  So here are the basic steps:

- download the full hobbitserver tar.gz file (hobbit-4.2.0.tar.gz) from
the Source Forge download page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=128058
Within that archive is both the client and the server.

- Unpack the tar.gz file and look at the README.CLIENT file -- that has
all the information for building the client.  You should read that whole
file because it has lots of useful information, but here's the part
that's pertinent to your question...

To build the client:

         - create a "hobbit" userid on the system
           (not required, but recommended).
         - extract the Hobbit source archive
         - cd to the hobbit-X.X directory
         - run "./configure --client; make"