[hobbit] Re: [feature request] trackmax for all parameters

Gildas Le Nadan gn1 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 11:28:30 CET 2007

Hi,

[...SNIP...]
>>However, there has also been some requests to increase the granularity
>>of the stored data, e.g. to keep 7 days worth of 5-minute averages as
>>opposed to the current 2 days. And likewise for the other RRA's.
>>So if we're going to add MAX/MIN tracking to the RRD-files, we might as
>>well do it at the same time that we change the granularity. The numbers
>>I've been thinking of are to keep
>>   * 30 days of 5-minute averages
>>   * 90 days of 15-minute averages
>>   * 360 days on 1-hour averages
>>   * 1080 days of 3-hour averages
[...SNIP...]
> We also have to keep in mind that TRACKMAX (and TRACKMIN) is a
> per-statusname option, not a global setting.
>
> I can take some time next week to add these features into hobbit, if we
> agree on how to do it. I propose a setting in hobbitserver.cfg for RRAS
> like :
>
> # hobbitserver.cfg sample
> # standard setup -- fits most needs
> rra = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576";
> rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:576";
> rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:576";
> rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:576";
[...SNIP...]
 > I (or anybody) can provide dump/restore tools along with hobbit, too.

I like this approach where one can set the values that fits for his
particular setup. Some of us don't really need to keep 5 minutes average
forever, but keeping the absolute maximum is mandatory, so the ability
to tweek the value to the needs seems like a definite win.

Of course, adjusting the rra setup for existing rrd, as well as adding
min/max value makes the dump/restore tools an absolute necessity.

There's probably some caveats concerning the dump/restore when it
happens while hobbitd_rrd tries to update the values of the rrd being
recreated, no? If so, maybe the dump/restore tool could be integrated in
hobbitd_rdd or do_rrd or in the future "rrd distribution backend"?

Also, I think the setup syntax is a bit confusing, I would prefer either

rra1 = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576";
rra2 = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:576";
rra3 = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:576";
rra4 = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:576";