[hobbit] Hobbit migration to a new box

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jan 23 22:07:00 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:41:33PM -0500, David Gilmore wrote:

> I am installing a new server since the previous server we had has been
> crashing do to hardware issues.  Is there a best practices for migrating the
> Hobbit data from the old box to the new?

Since you installed from source, the simplest way is to just copy
everything across - provided you use the same directory layouts,
hostname, IP-address for the server etc. If not, you'll have to tweak
these settings in hobbitserver.cfg - if changing IP, then also the
client side configurations will need changing (so don't do that).

If there are some incompatible libraries, then re-compiling Hobbit and
running a "make install" on top of the existing (copied over) setup will
take care of that.

Essentially, Hobbit only stores data in the ~hobbit/data/ directory,
and configuration files in ~hobbit/server/etc/ . If you have some custom
extension-scripts in the ~hobbit/server/ext/ directory, then you'll have
to handle them yourself.

The only real problem one may run into with migrating a Hobbit server is
if you are going from one hardware platform to another - that involves
dump'ing all of the RRD files to XML, and the import'ing all of them
from the XML files onto the new server. It's scriptable, but may take
some time depending on the number of files (had to do this with some
25.000 files recently when moving all of our Hobbit RRD's from a Sun
SPARC server to an Intel box, it took 3 hours - because the Sun server
was busy).