[hobbit] Dependency sytem in Hobbit

Marganne, Etienne emarganne at be.tiauto.com
Fri Jan 19 16:34:23 CET 2007

Hello,

Well yes indeed it could work well even though all the work necessary to
build the right configuration file will be huge for a network such as ours.

The idea, to explain everybody in the mailing list, would be to link the
different devices together by the means of the combo test. They work as
follow :

BigTest1 = hostA.test && hostB.test
BigTest2 = hostC.test || hostD.test
BigTest3 = BigTest1 || BigTest2

To propagate correctly the informations through a network path, do as
follow:

A - 1 - 2 - 3 - F

1' = A (to remember the test done on A)
2' = 1' and 1 (if you want to join 2 you must at least having 1', A let's
say and 1)
3' = 2' and 2 (same idea for 3)
F' = 3' and 3

Another kind of topology:
   /- 1 -\
A /-- 2 -- F
  \-- 3 -/

1' = A (useful to propagate surely the information)
2' = A
3' = A
F  = (1' and 1) || (2' and 2) || (3' and 3)

Last kind of topology (full mesh):

    /- 1 -\
   /   |   \
A /--- 2 -- F
  \    |   /
   \-- 3 -/

1' = A (useful to propagate surely the information)
2' = A
3' = A
F  = A and (1 || 2 || 3)

Here it is. If you think about network topology I forgot, feel free to tell
them (with the solution if available ;-)).

Of course this does not solve directly the alerts flood problem. I will try
to find out what could be possible with alerts based on the combo tests and
no more on simple tests.

If this solution can look pretty, at least to me, at the first read you have
to remember that it is still a lot work, even with scripts doing (you have
to write the scripts do not you ?). For the people with two ore more Hobbit
servers, this is even worse because the views are most likely not the same.

Thanks for reading and taking part,

Etienne Marganne,
TI Automotive