[hobbit] hobbit monitoring

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 17 15:05:25 CET 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 02:04:29PM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 10:38, Stef Coene wrote:
> > Same for trending, hobbit is not powerfull enough for our needs.  And we
> > don't have the C knowledge to change hobbit.  One of the problems is that
> > there is 1 rrd file / check.  But we have checks where the number on 1 page
> > we want to graph can change over time.
> Just wondering, how hard would it be to create an extra channel for trending?
> So you can use the bb client to send "numbers" to the hobbit server together
> with some extra control information.
>
> bb <bb server> trends <server name>

You wouldn't need a dedicated channel for this, you can use the "data"
type message.

I've made a very quick implementation that takes this input

   data SERVERNAME.trends

   [file1.rrd]
   DS:set1:GAUGE:600:0:U 10
   DS:set2:DERIVE:600:0:U 20

   [file2.rrd]
   DS:anotherset1:COUNTER:600:0:U 12345

and then generates/updates the two RRD files. file1.rrd has
two datasets ("set1" and "set2") with the values "10" and "20",
and file2.rrd has one dataset "anotherset1" with the value "12345".

Would that fulfill your needs ?