[hobbit] Alternate alerting

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 21:12:26 CET 2007

On 1/7/07, Kevin <khanrahan at charter.net> wrote:
> Hello all
>     I have read the section that describes "If e-mail is not enough"
> that talks about sending an SMS message or something else but there is
> no explanation of what generates the actual connection. There is a
> reference to "/usr/local/bin/smsalert" but this does not exist. Do I
> have to first find, install, and configure some sort of SMS alert
> program? If so, can someone suggest one?

Not without knowing your carrier.  There are a number of programs out
there, I quite like MercurySMS but YMMV.

> Also, can Hobbit send a page
> to a traditional paging carrier? If so, how is that done?

You'll just need the appropriate software for your carrier. I've been
using the Net::SNPP perl module as my pager supplier has an SNPP
interface.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor