[hobbit] Hobbit versus Unicenter/TNG

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri Feb 16 20:04:49 CET 2007

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>> Anyway, one of the useless stats that is being thrown about by
>> a third party is the number of different data points they will
>> monitor, and I was asked to provide a similar number of my
>> own.

> What is meant by "different data points" ?

Honestly, I'm not sure what they meant when they said that.  I take it
to mean a total count of all the individual pieces of data that are
recorded in an rrd or status display during a round of testing, both
from network tests, server side tests, and client side tests.  My mysql
monitoring script alone collects 83 different data points each run, and
that's just one of a handful of custom scripts we are using to watch our
operations.  I know I have an *incredible* amount of data and way more
than anyone else is going to be able to collect with an off the shelf tools.

If there were some easy way to see how many different values were
inserted into my rrd files in about a 5 minute period, I'd be golden.

> When we got into that discussion here, I just did a sort unique on
> the test column.  That alone was over 300 items.  After that, the
> vendor hung their head and left.

I'm sure I could do the same, given the chance.  ;)
--
Tom Georgoulias
Systems Engineer
tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com