[hobbit] Solaris ps

Galen Johnson gjohnson at trantor.org
Sun Feb 11 16:20:32 CET 2007

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

>> Yeah, but all of our systems are SPARC...which does...even with Solaris
>> 10.   Question stands...is there a reason not to? (other than upgrading,
>> will it affect any of hobbit's builtin functionality?)
>>

> If you look at the hobbitclient-sunos.sh script that runs on the
> clients, you'll see that it currently runs
>   ps -A -o pid,ppid,user,stime,s,pri,pcpu,time,pmem,rss,vsz,args
>
> If you can come up with a /usr/ucb/ps command that provides the same
> information - hopefully using almost the same column headers - then
> I have no problem in switching.
>
> Right now, Hobbit only looks at the command line from the "ps" listing,
> but I do have a plan to make it track the memory- and cpu-utilisation of
> processes; and for that Hobbit must be able to identify the
> corresponding columns in the "ps" output. But that's in the future.

Thanks...I looked into trying just that.  I can get using options
'auxwww' gets me a lot of the fields and I can get others with
'alxwww'...unfortunately, the 'l' and 'u' options appear to be mutually
exclusive...which is annoying.  'auxwww' does give you some memory and
cpu info (I _think_ it's the same as the pcpu and pmem).  I wouldn't
necessarily suggest this as a permanent change but I need it to get more
information from the command line.

I can work up the changes to provide both as an option (it does require
that the -o args be rearranged since the output of /usr/ucb/ps isn't
configurable).

=G=