[hobbit] Sending summary to a remote Hobbit server

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 05:40:36 CEST 2007

On 8/14/07, Charles Jones <charles.r.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could add additional bb-host entries, and then put the receiver as an
> additional BBHOST

Thanks, but that's not going to work.

The sender is getting the Enable/Disable state of about 1000 hosts
spread over 30 BigIP load balancers.  It adds up to about 3500
reports, of which maybe 90 are going to be red because the bozos that
do the configuration lag behind reality.  In addition, 3 or 4 hosts
are listed in two BigIPs - enabled in one, disabled in the other - so
they flip/flop between red and green about every few minutes.

The receiver is our principal Hobbit server, it has maybe 750 hosts,
about 3000 reports, so this other stuff would more than double its
load.

Personally I think it would be ridiculous to show an always-red-dot
for the summary, and then have the monitoring folks click through it
anyway, but that's what I'm being asked to provide.  As the monitoring
guys usually only have the "all non-green" view up, the summary needs
to show up there to be useful.

Ralph Mitchell