[hobbit] migration to hobbit: 3 questions

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Apr 30 23:33:33 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 04:59:22PM -0400, Steve Holmes wrote:

> 1) I found info about client side monitor scripts, but they all assume
> that the script should run on all clients (near as I can tell). Is there a
> way in clientlaunch.cfg to tell the hobbit client launch that a script
> only needs to be run on one client.

No. Next version will have an "ONHOST <regex>" setting which can be used
for this, but it isn't in 4.2.0 or the allinone patch yet.

> 2) I have some clients which show white on msgs constantly. Others
> are green, one other toggles between green and white every 1.5 to 3.5
> minutes. As I said above, we have the same config files on all the
> clients, so what could be causing this? Red, yellow and green I could
> understand, but white and green I don't.

"white" means that it's a Hobbit client sending data, but there are no
rules defined in hobbit-clients.cfg to parse the data.

"green" comes either from a BB client, or from a Hobbit client where you
do have some rules setup in hobbit-clients.cfg.

If it flip-flops between the two, the most likely cause is that you have
both the BB and the Hobbit client running on the same box, and they
don't report the same color. You should stop the BB client.

> 3) I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the shared memory
> configuration for Solaris 10. I know this isn't a hobbit question, but if
> there is any info out there on just what I need to do on the hobbit server
> to make sure I have enough allocated, I'd like to see it. I'm getting
> pretty consistent messages for hobbitd on the server saying "Oversize data/
> client msg from ... truncated" which I surmise from some mail I've seen
> that it is about the shared memory space.

There are two settings with this: First, it sounds like you need to
increase the size of the shared-memory segments that Hobbit uses for the
client messages. This is the MAXMSG_CLIENT setting in hobbitserver.cfg;
check the hobbitserver.cfg man-page for details. The default is
MAXMSG_CLIENT=512, you can probably double that. There's a good chance
that you will also need to tweak the MAXMSG_STATUS setting after that,
so check if the error message changes to  "Oversize status message..."

Second, your OS shared-memory settings may need to be tuned. The
MAXMSG_* settings cannot go higher than the SHMMAX setting in your OS,
so if Hobbit won't start after you change the MAXMSG_CLIENT setting, you
should look at this OS setting.