[hobbit] hobbit(bb) port 1984 encryption with stunnel

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 14:06:37 CEST 2007

>From: Ulric Eriksson <ulric at siag.nu>
>To: hobbit at hswn.dk
>Subject: Re: [hobbit] hobbit(bb) port 1984 encryption with stunnel
>Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 09:07:19 +0200 (CEST)
>

>On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, T.J. Yang wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>http://by138fd.bay138.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d0000%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=c3dd844ec8984ee0fc88cdaec8525d7c7c4ebd25761fc90804cf1ce9ea95666c#
>>Send
>>I am starting to test out port 1984 encryption using stunnel approach, see
>>following wiki notes.
>>
>>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Hobbit/Administration_Guide#Hobbit.28bb.29_port_1984_encryption
>>
>>Has anyone done this already ? Hoping someone already did this. so I can
>>shorten my try and error process.
>
>FWIW, we have been using Big Brother clients with stunnel to monitor remote
>sites for years. It works perfectly. Since Hobbit also uses a simple, tcp
>based protocol, I see no reason why it shouldn't work as well.

Ulric,

I am new to stunnel and trying to get stunnel to work with hobbit client and
server.
A few questions here.

1. So basically I can configure a hobbit/bb(using same port) server to both
accept either encrypted
   bb messages or plain one, correct ?

2.   I can use tcp-wrapper to restrict only the hobbit server itself can
connect to itself to lock down
      plain bb message connection from public, correct ?

3. I got 4.20 stunnel  compiled and configured, but the examples on
stunnel.org is for older version which accept "-c" kind of options. I am
having  problem to really redirect the bb message from a bb client using
port 1999 to remote hb server which accepting 1999 (then redirect to local
1984).

I don't know what other stops I need to to fill the following url.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Hobbit/Administration_Guide#Configuring_hb_client_to_use_port_1999