[feature request] Conditional testing in hobbit-clients.cfg

Charles Goyard charles.goyard at orange-ftgroup.com
Thu Apr 26 15:02:05 CEST 2007

Hi all, hi Henrik,

at my company we have some HA (say, LVS or web proxies manager with
heartbeat, active/standby setup) clusters, and wish to monitor resources
only on the active node.

In a setup such as :

hosts = vs1 and vs2
procs = squid running on master only
a custom test named "clustermaster" that gets green when master, and
clear otherwise.

There are several ways to do so :

- add a resource in heartbeat so it starts a "abstracted" hobbit client
(with hostname "vsmaster" instead of vs1 or vs2). Configure the
hobbit-clients.cfg to monitor heartbeat-managed resources for this
virtual host. Simple, straightforward.

- add a server-side extension that checks the "clustermaster" color and
  reconfigures the hobbit-clients.cfg accordingly.

- add a server-side extension that checks the "clustermaster" color and
  mimics the behaviour of a local client.

- add a "IF" keyword to hobbit-clients.cfg syntax to condition every
  check possible. (something like PROC squid 1 1 red IF
  vs1.clustermaster=green).

As usual, the most elegant solution (the last) in the harder. Henrik,
could you imagine putting it in hobbit ? If not, I'll do it at some
point.

Charles Goyard - charles.goyard at orange-ftgroup.com - (+33) 1 45 38 01 31
Orange Business Services - online multimedia  // ingénierie