[hobbit] Interesting finding (bug?)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Apr 19 22:53:00 CEST 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 01:16:29PM -0400, Galen Johnson wrote:

> I was setting up a custom script on one of my client machines and
> accidentally added the arguments to the script to the LOG definition...
> hobbit happily created the log file "some.log -arg1 -arg2 ...".
> I would think that this should be considered a defect as the log file
> should be a filename w/o whitespace and definitely without " -*" since
> that plays hob with unix commands.
>
> Thoughts?

It's bizarre, but there's nothing fundamentally *wrong* with filenames
like "Recipe for Choc'fudge", "somewhere - someday" or "Program Files".
True - lots of shell scripts will break on them, but they shouldn't if
you quote them correctly.

I agree that one should try and avoid them, if possible. But Hobbit does
try to handle them correctly, if you've managed to create some whether
accidentally or intentionally.

Not using shell scripts for CGI's helps a lot in that respect.