[hobbit] need advice

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Tue Apr 10 15:07:12 CEST 2007

Galen Johnson wrote:
> Ok, I'm writing a couple of custom monitors for some tasks at the
> office.  These can be either client or server scripts and can easily be
> scripted either way.  What would you recommend for server versus client
> extensions?  What criteria would you use to decide?  Some guidelines
> would be helpful for determining which type of script to pursue.

I think the biggest challenge is managing the script configurations, if
you have multiple servers and need to keep the script in sync across all
of them, or find that you need to have subtle variations in each of the
scripts on the clients.

If you have a configuration management system such as cfengine, where
you can easily manage remote client configurations from a central
location, then a client side script isn't an issue.  If you don't,
having the script run as a server side script is much easier to manage
and change as needed.

Tom
--
Tom Georgoulias