NCV help!

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Thu Sep 28 02:06:10 CEST 2006

I've made an ext script that parses mod_jk.log and computes a 5 minute
average. I want this 5 minute average time sent to Hobbit and graphed
(just graphed, so I'm using *data* instead of *status*).

I have done the following:
* Setup the ext script to be launched by the client.
* Added "modjk=ncv" to hobbitserver.cfg TEST2RRD section.
* Added ,modjk to hobbitserver.cfg GRAPHS section.
* Added "NCV_modjk="modjk:GAUGE" to hobbitserver.cfg
* Restarted Hobbit
* (I still need to do the graph definition, but I'm not bothering to do
that yet because I'm not getting any rrd data)

I've let the client run the ext script several times, as well as running
it by hand via "bbcmd", and I am still not seeing any rrd files show up
in /data/rrd/hostname/

here is the tail end of the ext script:

MSG=`printf "mod_jk : %2.6f\n" $JKAVG`
$BB $BBDISP "data $MACHINE.modjk green `date` $MSG"
exit 0

Here is a running of the script, with the last line prefixed with
"echo"  so that we can see what it's sending:
$ /bin/bbcmd ext/hobbit-mod_jk.sh/
2006-09-27 23:52:52 Using default environment file
/users/monitor/local/hobbit/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
/users/monitor/local/hobbit/client/bin/bb 127.0.0.1 data
cna-prod-app-28.modjk green Wed Sep 27 23:53:18 GMT 2006 mod_jk : 0.115922

If anyone can point out what I'm doing wrong, I would appreciate it.
This is my first time adding an NCV graph, and have many more to do, so
want to be sure I get it right.

P.S. The $BBDISP is 127.0.0.1 because I'm using /pulldata/ mode.

-Charles