[hobbit] SMS alerts

Richard Leyton richard at leyton.org
Fri Sep 22 15:09:19 CEST 2006

Yes - a lot of success. We're actually using a few companies to
deliver SMS's and other content (it's a core service for the client I
support). The hobbit SMS alerts we send are just utilising the same
service - I've written a simple wrapper script which takes the
various environment variables, and sends out an SMS to  either a
group of folk (eg 'ADMINS'), or an individual (eg. 'MGMT' for combo
alerts).

The actual mechanism is an HTTP GET (so wget does the job nicely),
with our reference information, to our SMS provider. I understand the
API also results in a confirmation in some situations, but I've not
incorporated that as it currently is tied into the customers systems.

I don't know off the top of my head who the SMS companies are, but
could perhaps find out for you if you're interested. I'm in the UK,
but I think they have an international presence.

In years gone by (when I was using BB) I found some 'free' SMS
companies, but that was about as good as a chocolate fire guard.

I might be able to tidy up the script and push it out for others to
use in due course. Let me know if there's any interest, although it's
nothing particular fancy.

r.

Richard Leyton - richard at leyton.org
http://www.leyton.org