[hobbit] Hobbit server resolving client name in correctly

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Sep 13 22:01:06 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:32:30PM -0400, David Gilmore wrote:
> I have a new installation of Hobbit 4.2.0 monitoring a private network
> (192.158.151.0/24)  It is currently monitoring a number of Windows servers
> with BB clients reporting data to hobbit.  The Hobbit system is configured
> to use two Windows DC's for DNS resolution.  Hobbit however is reporting in
> the CONN column that one of the DC's has a public IP address on the
> 64.20.33.0/29 network.  How is this happening?  The BBHOST file has the
> correct local IP address and FQDN host name.

Hobbit will always perform a DNS lookup to determine the IP-address. The
IP you put into the bb-hosts file is only used if the host also has a
"testip" tag.

So you should look at the resolver settings for your Hobbit server. What
kind of system are you running Hobbit on ?

Hobbit uses the ARES library for DNS lookups, and this does adhere to
some settings controlling what the priority is between any /etc/hosts
file and DNS. Is this host perhaps listed in /etc/hosts ?

You can also try this: Login as the Hobbit user, then run
  "bbcmd bbtest-net --debug MY.HOST.NAME"
where MY.HOST.NAME is the hostname from the bb-hosts file. You should
see something like this somewhere into the debug output:

2006-09-13 21:59:22 Opening file /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/bb-hosts
2006-09-13 21:59:22 Adding hostname 'client3.hswn.dk' to resolver queue
2006-09-13 21:59:22 Got DNS result for host client3.hswn.dk : 127.0.0.1
2006-09-13 21:59:22 Processing 1 DNS lookups with ARES

What does your output say?

> None of the client specific data is registering with Hobbit either.

Probably a different problem. Check if the host appears in the "Ghost
clients" report on the Hobbit server; if it does, then the hostname
reported by the client and the hostname you have in the bb-hosts file
don't match (most often, one uses the fully-qualified hostname, and the
other uses the plain hostname with no domain).