[hobbit] Installing hobbit help

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 10:50:07 CET 2006

>From: "David Hay Currie" <davidh at port.state.de.us>
>To: <hobbit at hswn.dk>
>Subject: [hobbit] Installing hobbit help
>Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:09:33 -0500
>
>I am trying to install hobbit in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 server. I
>talked earlier with Red Hat and they say that they don't support rpm
>which are not downloaded from the Red Hat network.
>
>Well, no problem, I prefer not to call them about it that not to run
>hobbit since it is extremely useful for me.
>
>Anyhow, I had installed it in a virtual machine running fc5 and it was
>quite easy to install. I am just starting as a Linux administrator, and
>even I had administered Windows servers for years, the switch is not so
>easy. I like Linux and I am quite excited to get the most of it, but
>sometimes I stumble around, just like at this moment, so here go a
>couple of my silly questions:

welcome to join me for asking silly questions ;)

>For security reasons I should not run hobbit as root. I understand that,
>but should I run the installation as root, or as hobbit?

>Which would be the best folder for installation? I know this is a bit
>more open, but I would like the server to be kept clean, so I don't want
>to spread the installation everywhere I want it to make sense.

In my test setup, I have hobbit server running as hobbits user and client
running as hobbitc.
I also spilt the binary installation into /opt/hobbits and /opt/hobbitc to
keep server and client
binary coexist under /opt/hobbit(hobbit default is /opt/hobbit/server and
/opt/server/client).

>I think with just a little bit more of info I would be able to get a
>good installation going. Thanks in advance

I also packaged hobbit client for three OS(hp,solaris and rhlinux) and their
versions.
older OS like solaris 2.5/2.6 need works (kstat is not avaiable). HP-UX
10.20 need compilaton
weak also.