Installing hobbit help

David Hay Currie davidh at port.state.de.us
Tue Oct 31 01:09:33 CET 2006

I am trying to install hobbit in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 server. I
talked earlier with Red Hat and they say that they don't support rpm
which are not downloaded from the Red Hat network.

Well, no problem, I prefer not to call them about it that not to run
hobbit since it is extremely useful for me.

Anyhow, I had installed it in a virtual machine running fc5 and it was
quite easy to install. I am just starting as a Linux administrator, and
even I had administered Windows servers for years, the switch is not so
easy. I like Linux and I am quite excited to get the most of it, but
sometimes I stumble around, just like at this moment, so here go a
couple of my silly questions:

For security reasons I should not run hobbit as root. I understand that,
but should I run the installation as root, or as hobbit?

Which would be the best folder for installation? I know this is a bit
more open, but I would like the server to be kept clean, so I don't want
to spread the installation everywhere I want it to make sense.

I think with just a little bit more of info I would be able to get a
good installation going. Thanks in advance

David Hay Currie

Network Administrator

1 Hausel Rd. - Wilmington, DE 19801

(302) 472-7854

This message, including any accompanying documents or attachments, may contain information that is confidential or that is privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please note that the dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message or any of the accompanying documents or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you may have received this message in error, please contact me by replying the e-mail.